From Ohio History Central
In 1934, the United States government established the Wayne National Forest in southern and southeastern Ohio. The forest was named for Anthony Wayne, a hero of the American Revolution and various Indian conflicts in the Northwest Territory. The forest consists of 833,900 acres of land in twelve Ohio counties. It is located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, and before becoming a national forest, extraction of mineral resources, especially iron and coal, occurred in the region. Much of the forest is now privately owned, but the public does have access to several portions of the forest. The U.S. Forest Service cares for the public areas of the forest.
There is much to see and do in the Wayne National Forest. The forest contains one of Ohio�s seven natural bridges. Dating from 1833, a partially restored iron furnace, the Vesuvius Furnace, also exists in the forest. Several covered bridges are also visible, especially along State Route 26. Boating and fishing opportunities abound on Lake Vesuvius, Timbre Ridge Lake, the Little Muskingum River, and the Hocking River.