From Ohio History Central
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio (1910-1920)
The University of Cincinnati originated in 1819 with the founding of Cincinnati College. Jacob Burnet served as the first president. The college survived only six years, before financial difficulties forced it to close. In 1835, Daniel Drake reestablished the institution, which eventually joined with the Cincinnati Law School. Cincinnati College continued to operate until 1918, when it formally merged with the University of Cincinnati.
The Ohio legislature chartered a university in Cincinnati in 1870. Originally known as McMicken University, a month after the college's founding, the university's board of directors changed the institution's name to the University of Cincinnati. McMicken University was named for Charles McMicken, who had donated approximately one million dollars to the city to form a university. Although McMicken had made his donation during the 1850s, the city did not establish an institution, the McMicken School of Drawing and Design, until 1869. When the Ohio legislature authorized the formation of a public university in Cincinnati, the University of Cincinnati absorbed the McMicken School of Drawing and Design.
The University of Cincinnati grew slowly during the 1800s. In 1893, the school moved to its current location. The early 1900s saw tremendous growth. The university created a Teacher's College in 1905 and a Graduate School of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1906. In 1897, the University of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati College law departments merged together. In 1918, the two institutions united all of their departments together under the mantle of the University of Cincinnati. The university also experienced a dramatic increase in enrollment following World War II, thanks primarily to the G.I. Bill. In 1977, the University of Cincinnati formally became part of the Ohio public university system.
The University of Cincinnati boasted an enrollment in 2003 of 33,823 students. Its faculty is world-renowned and has made numerous discoveries, including the first antihistamine, an oral polio vaccine, and the first electronic organ. The school also provided the first bachelor's degree program in nursing in the United States and the first degree program offered entirely via satellite in the nation.