Tremont, Ohio is a Cleveland neighborhood located to the south and west of downtown.
The region that now comprises Tremont was settled by whites in the early 1800s. Initially, most residents earned their living through farming, helping construct Cleveland's various buildings, or working on the Ohio and Erie Canal. During the mid 1800s, Cleveland University existed in Tremont. This institution remained open only from 1850 to 1855, but its buildings continued to be used by other businesses, including two hospitals. The college defined the architectural style of other buildings in the community. As Cleveland emerged as a major industrial center following the American Civil War, many of Tremont's residents found employment in Cleveland's factories.
Historically, Tremont has been home to various ethnic groups. Irish and German migrants dominated the community's population during the 1860s. By the 1890s, Greeks, Syrians, and Poles had supplanted the earlier ethnic groups. By the 1960s, a sizable Hispanic population, including especially people from Puerto Rico, resided in the community, as well as many migrants from Appalachia.
Unfortunately for Tremont residents, for most of the twentieth century, the neighborhood has been in decline. The principal reason for this has been Tremont's isolated nature. Located on the west bank of the Cuyahoga River, steep cliffs had always made the community difficult to access. By the early 1980s, two bridges that crossed the Cuyahoga River and connected Tremont with the rest of Cleveland were also closed due to safety issues. In recent years, some residents have attempted to revitalize the community, but high poverty and unemployment rates have hampered these efforts.
- Van Tassel, David D., and John J. Grabowski, eds. The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1996.