From Ohio History Central
On October 3, 1818, the Delaware Indians agreed to relinquish all claims that they had to land in Indiana. In exchange, the United States government agreed to provide the Delawares with land west of the Mississippi River. The government also gave the Delaware Indians 120 horses, a yearly annuity of four thousand dollars, and agreed to assume Delaware Indian debts in the amount of $13,312.25. The federal government also promised to provide the natives with provisions as they traveled westward. The United States government permitted the Indians to remain in Indiana until 1821, when the Delaware people were required to travel west of the Mississippi River. This agreement became known as the Treaty with the Delawares.
The Treaty with the Delawares was one of several treaties between Native Americans and the United States government during the first decades of the nineteenth century. The treaties marked the slow but gradual removal of native people to land west of the Mississippi River. The departure of the Indians opened most of what was once known as the Northwest Territory to settlement.
- Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.