Tarlton Cross Mound

From Ohio History Central

Jump to: navigation, search

The Tarlton Cross Mound is a symbolic earthwork located near Tarlton in Fairfield County, Ohio. It is owned by the Fairfield County Historical Parks Commission. The mound is cross-shaped and about 90 feet across with a circular depression, 20 feet wide and 12 inches deep, in the middle. There is a small stone mound just east of the Cross and several other earthen mounds in the general vicinity.

The age and cultural affiliation of the Tarlton Cross Mound is not known. The cross symbol, however, was used extensively during the Mississippian period to represent the Sun. It is therefore possible that it was built by the contemporary Fort Ancient culture.

Tarlton Cross is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

See Also


References

  1. Lepper, Bradley T. Ohio Archaeology: An Illustrated Chronicle of Ohio's Ancient American Indian Cultures. Wilmington, Ohio, Orange Frazer Press, 2005. 
  2. Reilly, F. Kent III and James F. Garber, editors. Ancient Objects and Sacred Realms: Interpretations of Mississippian Iconography.  Austin: University of Texas Press, 2007.
  3. Squier, Ephraim George, and Edwin Hamilton Davis. Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley: Comprising the Results of Extensive Original Surveys and Explorations. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1848.