From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
The Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal (P&O) was built between 1835 and 1840. Also known as the Mahoning Canal, the P&O connected Akron, Ohio, to the Beaver and Erie Canal in Pennsylvania. The completed canal extended approximately eighty-three miles and contained fifty-four locks.
Like other canals across the state, the P&O soon faced competition from railroads. Ultimately, canal traffic ended completely in the 1870s, and the land was sold in 1877.