From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
In 1856, James Reed purchased the paper, and, in 1873, his son, James Reed, Jr., became co-proprietor. Under their leadership, the ''Telegraph'' reached a circulation of over 1,000 and held mass appeal in an area characterized by a mix of industry and agriculture. Located on Lake Erie, Ashtabula was a major coal and iron ore port; it was also situated in the heart of a rich dairy district. Most issues of the ''Telegraph'' contained household tips, poetry, and works of fiction in addition to political commentary. In 1874, the paper dropped the “weekly” from its title to become the ''Ashtabula Telegraph''. It expanded from four to eight page issues in 1880 when its name returned to the ''Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph''. With this change came an increase in content, such as a regular temperance column and sections devoted to school and church news. During the latter part of the 19th century, the ''Telegraph'' experienced no major changes and continued to expand through mergers with other local papers. It even boasted a daily version, the ''Ashtabula Daily Telegraph'', for a short time in 1884. After nearly 70 years of continuous printing, the ''Telegraph'' ceased publication in 1911.
Part of this newspaper has been digitized and is available for research via [https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ Chronicling America]: [https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83035216/issues/ Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph, 1858-1873]; [https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88078580/issues/ Ashtabula Telegraph, 1874-1880]; [https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88078581/issues/ Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph, 1880].