From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
Beginning in 1888, the ''Democrat'' benefitted from the steady guidance of Civil War General and former Ohio Secretary of State and Representative Isaac R. Sherwood, who owned the Democratic Publishing Company. By that point, the paper was operating a cylinder press (established in 1866, the first in Stark County) and had cultivated a circulation of over 7,500. After General Sherwood retired, the ''Democrat'' changed hands several more times before it finally ceased publication in 1912.
Part of this newspaper has been digitized and is available for research via [http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ Chronicling America]: [http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84028490/issues/
The Stark County Democrat, 1868-1910].