From Ohio History Central
Text replacement - "Greeneville" to "Greenville"
<p>In late 1793, American General Anthony Wayne ordered the construction of Fort Greene Ville, named for his friend and comrade in the American Revolution, Nathaniel Greene. Wayne's army was marching against American Indians along the Maumee River. Wayne sought to punish the natives for their victory -- known by white settlers as St. Clair's Defeat -- in the region in 1791. The fortification was located roughly five miles north of Fort Jefferson at what is now Greenville, Ohio. The fort had walls that were ten feet high, and the stockade enclosed roughly fifty acres of land. Wayne used Fort Greene Ville as his encampment during the winter of 1793-1794 and as a staging area and supply depot for his attacks against Ohio's American Indians in 1794.</p>
<p>Following his victory at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in August 1794, Wayne used the fort to encourage natives along the Maumee River to negotiate. With such a sizable American force nearby and the failure of their British allies to assist them against the United States, many tribal leaders made their way to Fort Greene Ville seeking peace terms. The Treaty of
Greeneville of August 3, 1795, brought a brief peace to the Ohio Territory. As more and more white Americans moved into Ohio, some would violate the treaty's provisions and move onto land in northwestern Ohio reserved for American Indians. Warfare began again as a result.</p>