From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
| image = [[File:Konieschquanoheel (Statue).jpg]]
| caption = The sculpture commemorates
Chief Konieschquanoheel of the Delaware natives, and is installed where the tribe established their camp after they were driven from the banks of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The site was chosen by city officials who believed it to be an important junction on the Portage Path, a Native American trail leading from Lake Erie to the Ohio River. The path, however, passed Barberton to the east, near Summit and Nesmith Lakes.
<p>Konieschquanoheel, also known by the English name "Captain Pipe" was a prominent Lenape (Delaware) leader during and after the American Revolution. Little is known of his early years. His Lenape name, Konieschquanoheel, means "maker of light." Konieschquanoheel's nickname among the Lenape was Hopocan, which translates to "tobacco pipe." By the time of the American Revolution, Konieschquanoheel had become a leader among his people. During the conflict, he first tried to remain neutral towards both the British and the Americans. He refused to take up arms against the Americans even after General Edward Hand killed his mother, brother, and a few of his children during a military campaign in 1778. The Lenape that Hand attacked were neutral. Later that same year, General Lachlan McIntosh, the American commander at Fort Pitt, requested permission from the Lenape to march through their territory in order to attack Fort Detroit. Konieschquanoheel and other Lenape leaders agreed, as long as the soldiers would build a fort to protect the Lenape form both the British and white settlers. McIntosh agreed and had Fort Laurens built near the Lenape villages in eastern Ohio. After constructing the fort, however, McIntosh demanded that the Ohio Country Lenape assist the Americans in capturing Fort Detroit. If the American Indians refused, McIntosh threatened them with extermination.