From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
<p>Because of its location along the Ohio River, Marietta grew quickly. It became a major trading center in the Northwest Territory and later in the state of Ohio. The community became one of the earliest settlements in Ohio to have a state-chartered bank in 1808. Agriculture was very productive and the farms around Marietta had many large apple orchards. In addition to agriculture and trade with the East, Marietta was also known for its shipbuilding industry. Ships, barges and flatboats moved from Marietta down the Ohio River to the Mississippi River and then to New Orleans and to ports in the East. </p>
<p>In spite of its early growth, Marietta was surpassed by other towns as other forms of transportation came to Ohio. Canals, the National Road, and the railroads made all parts of the state accessible.</p>
<p>In 1846, Marietta boasted seven churches, two public libraries, Marietta College, two private academies, twenty stores and several other types of businesses. The city numbered 1,814 residents in 1840. By 1880, the community had grown to 5,444 residents with twelve churches and two banks. Various manufacturing businesses produced chairs, stoves, flour, doors, and harnesses.
With a population of 14,515 people , </p>
<p>Marietta was Washington County's largest community in 2000 and remains a political and cultural center. The city has a growing tourist trade because of the city's important place in Ohio's early history.</p>