From Ohio History Central
Text replacement - "Ohio Historical Society" to "Ohio History Connection"
<p>The Edwin Harness Mound was explored by generations of archaeologists beginning with Ephraim Squier and Edwin Davis around 1840. They excavated two shafts into the central portion of the mound uncovering the remains of two eight foot square timber enclosures, one of which contained a partially cremated burial associated with a copper plate and a large platform pipe. Their collection of artifacts is now at the British Museum. </p>
<p>Frederic Putnam excavated about one quarter of the mound for the Peabody Museum in 1885. Putnam discovered additional "burial chambers" and considerable numbers of artifacts such as copper plates, copper ear spools, shell beads, flint knives, and remnants of textiles. </p>
<p>Warren K. Moorehead excavated the southern portion of the mound in 1897 for the Ohio
Historical Society. Moorehead explored the mound by excavating an extensive series of tunnels following lines of burials in small, domed chambers. </p><p>William C. Mills conducted further excavations for the Ohio Historical Society between 1903 and 1907. Mills determined that the mound overlay the remains of a large wooden structure that contained a large number of burials and artifact offerings. </p>
<p>Finally, in 1976 and 1977, N'omi Greber, an archaeologist with the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, excavated the remaining traces of the mound and its subsurface postmolds and pits. She defined the plan of the timber structure as two large squarish rooms connected to two small circular chambers. She compared the structure to the traditional Native American ceremonial "Big House." </p>