From Ohio History Central
Text replacement - "Ohio Historical Society" to "Ohio History Connection"
<p>The Coon Mound was a large, conical burial mound located in The Plains in Athens County, Ohio. It was named for Gabriel Coon, the owner of the land that included the mound. The Plains is a broad section of floodplain along the Hocking River bordered by high hills. In this two-mile long stretch of valley there were 11 earthen enclosures and 17 mounds, so the Coon Mound was part of a larger ceremonial landscape.</p>
<p>Originally, the Coon Mound was about 30 feet high and 158 feet in its longest diameter. Prior to 1930, the mound had been cut into for the construction of a road and local residents were digging into it to get topsoil for their gardens.</p>
<p>In order to salvage scientific information from the mound before it was completely destroyed, Emerson Greenman excavated the Coon Mound for the Ohio
Historical Society in 1930. He uncovered a single burial located in an elaborately constructed, log tomb. Artifacts found with the burial included two copper bracelets and more than 250 shell beads. </p>
<p>According to Greenman's report on the excavation, "the Coon Mound exhibits the characteristic features of the Adena culture in its purest form." Indeed, appended to the report is a detailed analysis of the Adena culture. </p>
<p>The Adena culture (800 BC – AD 100) extended across southern Ohio and neighboring portions of Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and West Virginia.</p>