From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
<p>In 1870, Dexter City was platted, although the village was not formally incorporated until 1881. Residents named the community after Dexter W. Sullivan, who constructed the first building in the town. In comparison to other Noble County communities, Dexter City grew relatively quickly, attaining a population of nearly 350 residents in 1880. Most residents earned their livings in local coal and iron mines, as farmers, as oil workers, or excavating salt. As iron and coal deposits began to decline, many residents began to leave Dexter City, finding employment in Ohio's larger cities. In 2007, the town claimed only 161 residents.</p>
#Howe, Henry. <em>Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes</em>. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.
[[Category:History Places]][[Category:Industrialization and Urbanization]][[Category:The Progressive Era]][[Category:Great Depression and World War II]][[Category:The Cold War and Civil Rights]][[Category:Towards the 21st Century]][[Category:Communities and Counties]]