From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
| caption = The Cholera Cemetery was restored in 1924. It had been neglected since 1850. Courtesy of the City of Sandusky.
<p>In 1849, a cholera epidemic struck Ohio. Thousands of Ohioans died, including eight thousand in Cincinnati alone. Many Ohioans tried to flee the illness. Many Cincinnati residents took the Mad River Railroad from Cincinnati to Sandusky. Unfortunately, these people brought the cholera germ with them. </p>
<p>Once the cholera outbreak reached Sandusky, approximately 3,500 of this city's residents fled. Only 2,167 people remained. Four hundred -- more than eleven percent of the town's entire population before the epidemic -- of the remaining people died. Most of the deceased were buried in a mass grave. Today, the site of this grave is designated as Cholera Cemetery. It is located on Harrison Street in Sandusky. In the center of the cemetery is a monument to the doctors who provided treatment for the sick. Doctors from Cincinnati, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and numerous other communities came to Sandusky to care for the townspeople. </p>
[[Category:History Places]][[Category:Early Statehood]][[Category:Historic Sites]][[Category:Science and Medicine]]