From Ohio History Central
Findlay, Ohio, is the county seat of Hancock County. During the War of 1812, Colonel James Findlay built a road to transport troops across the region and constructed a stockade that was named Fort Findlay in his honor. The community of Findlay began to emerge in the area surrounding the fort after the war was over. Future Ohio Governor Joseph Vance and Elnathan Corry laid out the first lots in 1821.
The town's population remained small in the first several decades. By the 1840s, there were approximately one hundred families residing in Findlay. In the years prior to the American Civil War, Findlay served as a stop on the Underground Railroad for slaves escaping to Canada.