From Ohio History Central
In 1880, Charles W. West of Cincinnati donated 150,000 dollars to the Cincinnati Museum Association to establish an art museum in the city. In 1886, the Cincinnati Art Museum opened, and it became one of the leading art museums in the United States. In 1881, the Cincinnati Museum Association convinced the McMicken School of Drawing and Design to relocate to the Cincinnati Art Museum. McMicken College later became the University of Cincinnati.The college agreed to turn over all operations of the School of Drawing and Design to the Cincinnati Museum Association. The school became known as the Art Academy of Cincinnati. Established in 1887, the academy has trained artists for more than a century. In a typical year, approximately two hundred students are enrolled at the Art Academy of Cincinnati. Students specialize in either the Fine Arts or in Communication Design.
[[Category:Industrialization and Urbanization]]