From Ohio History Central
In 1929, Harvey Firestone began construction of the Firestone Country Club for his employees at the Firestone Rubber and Tire Company. The club is located in Akron, Ohio, and today consists of three separate golf courses.
In 1954, the first professional tournament was held at the Firestone Country Club. Known as the Rubber City Open, this tournament lasted until 1960. In that year the Professional Golf Association (PGA) Championship occurred at the club. The PGA has held its championship at the Firestone Country Club in 1960, 1966, and 1975. Beginning in 1961, the American Golf Classic took place at Firestone. This tournament remained at the club until 1976. In 1962, the World of Series of Golf began to hold an event at the Firestone Country Club. By 1976, this tournament had evolved into one of the leading competitions on the PGA tour schedule. This event ended in 1998.