From Ohio History Central
In 1869, the Church of the United Brethren in Christ authorized the creation of a seminary. Reverend Milton Wright called for the seminary's creation and served as the institution's first chairman of the executive committee. Wright also was the father of Ohioans Orville and Wilbur Wright. Wright selected the seminary's original
name -- Union Biblical Seminary, which was the predecessor of Bonebrake Theological Seminary.
In 1871, the Union Biblical Seminary opened in Dayton, Ohio. Initially, the institution held classes at the Home Street United Brethren in Christ Church, but in 1879, the seminary moved to a new campus in Dayton. Eleven students enrolled at the Union Biblical Seminary in 1871. The institution originally only accepted college graduates, unless potential students could illustrate that they had an equivalent amount of knowledge. Students initially took courses in the Exegetical, Doctrinal, Historical, Practical, and Homiletical Departments, and the seminary awarded its first Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1892.