From Ohio History Central
In 1967, the Case Institute of Technology and Adelbert College of Western Reserve University united together to form Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
Adelbert College began as Western Reserve College, which opened in 1826. It was the first institution of higher education in what had been the Connecticut Western Reserve. Western Reserve College was closely affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. Religious groups operated most early colleges in Ohio, hoping to instill their students with good moral values and to create missionaries who would help convert new members. Originally established at Hudson, Western Reserve College moved to Cleveland in 1882. It was one of the first colleges in Ohio to admit African-American students.