From Ohio History Central
Flint Ridge is a nearly eight-mile long vein of high-quality flint located in Licking and Muskingum counties of eastern Ohio. Hundreds of quarry pits and workshop sites are scattered across more than 2,000 acres of ridgetop in these Appalachian foothills. It has been called the "Great Indian Quarry of Ohio." In 1888 Ohio historian Henry Howe observed, "This 'Flint Ridge' must have been as valuable to the Indians...as the coal and iron mines of Ohio and Pennsylvania are to the white men of the present day." The prehistoric flint mines range in size from 12 to 80 feet in diameter and from three to 20 feet in depth.
Flint Ridge flint is particularly distinctive for its bright coloration. The most common type is white with light gray streaks, but the most sought-after colors included various shades and combinations of red, yellow, blue, and green.
All of Ohio's prehistoric peoples used Flint Ridge flint to make their spearpoints, arrowheads, or other tools, but the Hopewell culture (100 BC