From Ohio History Central
The Coon Mound was a large, conical burial mound located in The Plains in Athens County, Ohio. It was named for Gabriel Coon, the owner of the land that included the mound. The Plains is a broad section of floodplain along the Hocking River bordered by high hills. In this two-mile long stretch of valley there were 11 earthen enclosures and 17 mounds, so the Coon Mound was part of a larger ceremonial landscape.
Originally, the Coon Mound was about 30 feet high and 158 feet in its longest diameter. Prior to 1930, the mound had been cut into for the construction of a road and local residents were digging into it to get topsoil for their gardens.
The Adena culture (800 BC