From Ohio History Central
The French Grant was one of the many land divisions established in the late eighteenth century in what is now Ohio.
In 1790, land speculators representing the Scioto Company persuaded several hundred French immigrants to come to the United States of America. When the French arrived in the Ohio Country, they discovered that the company's representatives had misled them. The land that they had purchased actually belonged to the Ohio Company of Associates rather than to the Scioto Company. In 1795, the United States Congress established the French Grant near Gallipolis to compensate the immigrants for their treatment by the Scioto Company. Some people chose to settle in the French Grant, but most either purchased land from the Ohio Company of Associates or returned to the East.
[[Category:Exploration To Statehood]]