From Ohio History Central
Located in West Union, Ohio, Camp Hamer was a recruitment and training center for soldiers during the American Civil War.
Governor William Dennison ordered the establishment of Camp Hamer as a training camp for Ohio volunteers. In April 1861, following President Abraham Lincoln's call for seventy-five thousand volunteers to end the South's rebellion, Governor Dennison encouraged Ohio communities to form and send militia units to the state capital at Columbus. The governor ordered the formation of additional camps, including Camp Hamer, to speed the processing and training of Ohio's military forces. At these camps, military authorities also reorganized these individual companies into larger military units.
By early 1862, Camp Hamer had been abandoned.