From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
The Cincinnati and Whitewater Canal was built between 1839 and 1843. When completed, the canal extended approximately ninety miles. Like most canals, things never went as smoothly as the builders had intended. To construct the canal, workers had to build a tunnel near North Bend, Ohio. When completed, the tunnel was 1,782 feet long. Workers used stone to line the tunnel's entrances and soft bricks to cover the walls and ceiling. The canal was four feet deep, and the tunnel rose eighteen feet above the canal's water line. A towpath existed along the tunnel's western wall, but most canalboats relied on men to pull the boats through the tunnel's tight spaces, while the tow animals walked over the hill above the tunnel. The Cincinnati and Whitewater Canal tunnel was the only canal tunnel in Ohio and one of only five such structures to exist in the United States.