From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
Since the United States Constitution guaranteed each state at least two federal senators and one representative, the smallest grant of land would equal ninety thousand acres. Ohio received 630,000 acres of land.
The Ohio legislature accepted the land in 1864 and authorized the land's sale in 1865. The legislature established the minimum price for the land at eighty cents per acre. Despite this relatively cheap price, few Ohioans came forward to purchase the land. The state legislature quickly removed the minimum price restriction and the land sold more quickly. Upon completion of the sale, the Ohio government had received $342,450.
80�approximately fifty cents per acre.
The Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College opened its doors on September 17, 1873. The college's trustees located the institution on the Neil farm, approximately two miles north of Columbus's city limits. This site was chosen for several reasons. First, Columbus was central to the state and easily accessible to most state residents thanks to canals and railroads. Second, this more rural location would prevent students from frequenting bars and gambling houses located within Columbus' boundaries. Finally, a spring existed on the Neil farm, which would provide campus residents with an adequate water source.
[[Category:Industrialization and Urbanization]]