From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
In 1911, the Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs implemented plans to establish the College of Saint Mary of the Springs, the predecessor to Ohio Dominican University. The College of Saint Mary of the Springs formally opened in 1924, as a Catholic women's college in Columbus, Ohio.
In 1968, the College of Saint Mary of the Springs became Ohio Dominican College. By the 1980s and 1990s, the institution had attained a sound financial status and enrollment had reached historic highs. One reason for this growth was the college's implementation of weekend classes for local residents who could not attend classes during the regular work week. During the early 2000s, the institution continued to grow. In 2002, Ohio Dominican College became Ohio Dominican University. Enrollment nearly doubled from approximately 1,900 students at the start of 2000 to almost 3,700 students by 2007. The university consisted of over fifty undergraduate degree programs in 2006 and also offered graduate programs in business, education, liberal studies, and theology.
[[Category:The Progressive Era]]