From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
In 1886, the Society of Jesus established St. Ignatius College in Cleveland, Ohio. Saint Ignatius was the founder of the Society of Jesus, an order within the Roman Catholic Church. For the first eighty-two years of this institution's existence, only men could enroll. In 1923, St. Ignatius College became John Carroll University. John Carroll was the first Catholic archbishop in the United States. Twelve years later, the university relocated to a suburb of Cleveland known as University Heights. During the 1968-1969 school year, John Carroll University admitted women for the first time, making the institution coeducational, but women were only allowed to enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences at first.
Borromeo College of Ohio originally began as a separate institution, founded by the Capuchins of the Franciscan order of the Roman Catholic Church. Today, Borromeo College is affiliated with John Carroll University. Borromeo students attend regular academic classes at John Carroll University and receive seminary training at Borromeo College. Borromeo College only admits men. Most of these students are seeking training to become Catholic priests. Borromeo College is located in Wickliffe, Ohio, and is the Diocese of Cleveland's seminary.
[[Category:Industrialization and Urbanization]]