From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
Originally, local residents began building the community of Circleville in 1810 around the large circles. They built the county courthouse on the site of the large central mound and Circle Street surrounded the earthworks. Beginning in 1837, however, Circleville "squared its circle". It removed the circular street along with the last vestiges of the ancient earthworks. Today, the city's name preserves the memory of the ancient Hopewell culture.