From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
In 1886, the Ohio General Assembly authorized the creation of the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, the predecessor of the Ohio Veterans Home, at Sandusky, Ohio. The home was created to provide for Ohio's indigent honorably discharged veterans of the American Civil War. The institution's first board of trustees selected a site just south of Sandusky, Ohio. The city government agreed to provide streetcar service and gas, water, and electric power to the site.
By 2005, more than fifty thousand veterans had resided at what was now known as the Ohio Veterans Home. In that same year, approximately 660 veterans lived in the Ohio Veterans Home, including 427 people in the nursing home component. In 2003, a second Ohio Veterans Home was opened in Georgetown, Ohio. If a veteran is destitute, he or she now receives free care at the Ohio Veterans Home. Otherwise, the home charges a fee based on a person's wealth. Both the Sandusky and Georgetown sites are operated by the Ohio Veterans Home Agency.
[[Category:Industrialization and Urbanization]]