From Ohio History Central
The Packard Motor Car, of Warren, Ohio, was a major automobile manufacturer in the United States during the first half of the 20th century.
The Packard family was involved in a number of business enterprises in the community of Warren, Ohio, in the second half of the nineteenth century. Those business interests were diverse, including lumber mills, hardware stores, hotels, and an iron rolling mill. In 1890, William Doud Packard and his brother James Ward Packard established the Packard Electric Company, which produced incandescent bulbs. One of the Packard Electric Company's subsidiaries was the New York and Ohio Company, which produced the first Packard Motor Car in 1899. The new manufacturing interest was first known as the Ohio Automobile Company, but the family renamed it the Packard Motor Car Company in 1902.
The Packard Motor Car Company remained in operation for the next sixty years before eventually closing. In 1932, one of the Packard family businesses, but not the Packard Motor Car Company, became part of the General Motors Corporation. It eventually became known as Delphi Packard Electric Systems, which still exists today.