From Ohio History Central
Ohio Stadium is where The Ohio State University football team plays its home games. It is located on the university’s campus in Columbus, Ohio.
The stadium opened in 1922. It cost approximately 1.3 million dollars to build. This was one of the earliest stadiums constructed of concrete, and many people feared that the structure would collapse. The stadium was constructed in the shape of a horseshoe, and fans nicknamed the structure “the Horseshoe” or “the Shoe.”
At the time of its opening, Ohio Stadium was the largest stadium west of the Allegheny Mountains. It officially could hold 66,210 fans when it first opened, although fans routinely filled the stadium beyond capacity. Many people said that the stadium would never be filled due to its large size. The first game played in Ohio Stadium occurred on October 7, 1922, when Ohio State played Ohio Wesleyan. At the dedication game, The Ohio State University versus the University of Michigan, on October 21, 1922, 71,385 fans attended. Originally, there were no restrooms for women, as it was deemed unfashionable for women to attend sporting events, such as football games, during the 1920s.
Over the years, Ohio Stadium underwent some dramatic changes. Due to the demand for more seats, The Ohio State University eventually constructed temporary stands at the south end, the open end, of the stadium. Originally players played on a grass field, but in 1971, Ohio State installed Astroturf. In 1990, grass returned to Ohio Stadium. During the late 1990s and early 2000s, the Ohio Stadium went under a renovation. The university replaced the temporary stands in the south end of the stadium with permanent ones. Skyboxes and a new press box were also added. The field was also lowered more than fourteen feet to make room for additional seating. When the renovation was complete in 2001, the stadium could now officially hold 101,568 fans, making it the third largest stadium in the United States.