From Ohio History Central
The Ohio Female College was located in Pleasant Hill, a community near Cincinnati. The area where the college was built was known as College Hill because of its proximity to a number of educational institutions. The school first opened its doors in 1846, and it offered a range of educational choices. Students who were not yet ready to enter college could enroll in the preparatory program, while others earned four-year degrees or even two-year graduate degrees. The school offered a broad range of courses in the sciences, mathematics, and humanities. John McLean, a former Ohio senator and U.S. Supreme Court justice, served as the college's first president of the board of trustees.
The Ohio Female College had a short history. The school rebuilt after a fire in 1868 but closed permanently in 1872. In 1873, a group of Cincinnati doctors and businessmen purchased the property to open the Cincinnati Sanitarium, the first private psychiatric facility in the United States outside of the East Coast.