From Ohio History Central
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company has its roots in the Farm Bureau Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, founded by the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation in Columbus, Ohio, in 1926. Although the company originally focused on Ohio farmers, it soon began offering policies to farmers in several other states and then to urban dwellers in the 1930s. Farm Bureau Mutual also began selling fire insurance and life insurance during the thirties, in addition to its automobile policies.
The company changed its name to Nationwide Insurance in 1955, and by 1965, it underwrote policies in thirty-two states. The company continued to grow, eventually necessitating the construction of a new headquarters in Columbus. The new building, completed in 1978, is known as One Nationwide Plaza. Eventually three other buildings joined the original, and the four are known today as Nationwide Plaza. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company also built the Nationwide Arena in Columbus in order to attract a new National Hockey League franchise, the Columbus Blue Jackets, to Columbus. In addition to its architectural growth, Nationwide has increased its business offerings to include a variety of other types of insurance and financial services. Today, the company has offices in all fifty states, as well as in other parts of the world.