Myra K. Merrick
Dr. Myra King Merrick was the first woman medical doctor in Ohio. She moved to Cleveland to set up her practice in 1852.
Over time, Merrick became associated with the education of women physicians. When the Western College of Homeopathic Medicine quit admitting women students in the 1860s, Merrick and C.O. Seaman started the Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital College for Women. She began teaching medicine at the school, making Merrick the first woman medical college professor outside of the East Coast. The school remained small and eventually merged with the Western College of Homeopathic Medicine, which became known as the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical College.
- Abram, Ruth. Send Us a Lady Physician: Women Doctors in America, 1835-1920. N.p.: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., 1985.