From Ohio History Central
Madison is a community in Lake County, Ohio.
Although residents did not formally establish Madison, which was named after President James Madison, until 1867, the first white Americans to settle in the region arrived in the late 1790s. The community grew relatively slowly, having less than eight hundred residents in 1880. For most of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, many residents earned their living as farmers or found employment in harbor communities on nearby Lake Erie. In the years prior to the American Civil War, Madison residents assisted hundreds of fugitive slaves to freedom in Canada along the Underground Railroad.
Following World War II, Madison continued to grow. By the late 1940s, most American families owned automobiles, allowing these people to live farther from work. Madison experienced an increase in population, as these people lived in Madison but typically commuted to Cleveland, Ohio, located forty miles to the west. In 2000, approximately three thousand people resided in the community.
- Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.