From Ohio History Central
Logan is the county seat of Hocking County, Ohio. Residents named the town in honor of a Mingo Indian chief. Thomas Worthington established the community in 1816.
Logan grew slowly, isolated from much of the state by the Hocking Hills. In 1825, approximately 250 people resided in the town. By 1840, the number of residents increased to nearly six hundred. The principal reason for this growth was the completion of the Hocking Canal to the town in 1838. In 1840, Logan contained four stores and two churches.
Over the next four decades, Logan’s population increased dramatically, with 2,666 people residing in the community in 1880. The town now had three newspaper offices, six churches, and two banks, and a railroad passed through the community. Numerous manufacturing businesses also existed in the community. The two largest employers were the railroad, with forty-five employees, and the Motherwell Iron and Steel Company, which primarily constructed bridges.
During the twentieth century, Logan emerged as a major tourist destination. Today, many locals find employment in tourism-related businesses. Numerous residents operate bed and breakfasts or work in hotels or restaurants to meet the needs of tourists visiting the Hocking Hills State Park. Numerous natural wonders exist in Hocking County and in the park, including the Cantwell Cliffs, Old Man’s Cave, Cedar Falls, Ash Cave, and Rock House, drawing tens of thousands of tourists every year. With a population of 6,704 people, Logan was Hocking County’s largest community in 2000.