From Ohio History Central
The J.M. Smucker Company produces a wide array of jams, jellies, and other food items.
In 1897, Jerome Monroe Smucker constructed a cider mill in Orrville, Ohio. Besides producing apple cider, Smucker also made apple butter. In 1900, Smucker and his son, Willard, began to travel across northeastern Ohio, selling their products. In 1921, the J.M. Smucker Company officially formed and, in 1923, began to produce additional jams and jellies besides just apple butter.
By 1935, the J.M. Smucker Company's products were in great demand across the Midwest. Hoping to increase its market, that same year, the company expanded its operations, including opening a fruit-processing facility in the state of Washington. In 1942, the J.M. Smucker Company began to ship its products nationwide. During World War II, the firm even provided apple butter to American soldiers serving overseas.
During the 1960s, the J.M. Smucker Company began to diversify its product line. In 1963, the firm began to sell ketchup, and in the following year, Kellogg's began to use Smucker's jam in its Pop-Tarts. In 1965, the J.M. Smucker Company also began to manufacture peanut butter. Helping to promote its products, in 1962, the company created a new slogan, "With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good." The company continues to utilize this slogan today.
Over succeeding decades, the J.M. Smucker Company continued to expand. In the late 1980s, the firm began to produce and sell its merchandise internationally, first in Canada and then in Australia.