Indianapolis-Cincinnati Clowns

From Ohio History Central

The Indianapolis-Cincinnati Clowns was a professional African-American baseball team that played its home games in both Cincinnati, Ohio, and Indianapolis, Indiana. The team played in the Negro American League. Established in 1942, the Indianapolis-Cincinnati Clowns was originally known as the Cincinnati Buckeyes. That same year, team owners changed the club's name to the Cincinnati Clowns. In 1944, the team became known as the Indianapolis-Cincinnati Clowns, playing some of its home games in Cincinnati and others in Indianapolis, Indiana. The next season, the Clowns returned exclusively to Cincinnati. In 1946, the team permanently relocated to Indianapolis and became known as the Indianapolis Clowns. The Indianapolis Clowns remained in the Negro American League until 1950.

See Also