From Ohio History Central
The Greek Catholic Union is a national Carpatho-Russian fraternal organization.
Cleveland, Ohio resident Michael Lucak, Sr., co-founded the Greek Catholic Union in 1892. The society's original purpose was to provide Carpatho-Russian immigrants with a social and cultural institution to practice traditional Carpatho-Russian customs and beliefs. The organization also provided its members with health and life insurance. By the 1980s, the Greek Catholic Union had become the largest Carpatho-Russian fraternal organization in the United States of America. At the start of the twentieth century, the Greek Catholic Union continued to enhance Ohio's cultural landscape exist. By this point in time, the group had become primarily a banking and insurance institution. At the time of this writing, the Greek Catholic Union's headquarters is located in Beaver, Pennsylvania.
- Van Tassel, David D., and John J. Grabowski, eds. The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1996.