On January 28, 1882, the Church of God and the city of Findlay, Ohio, established Findlay College. The institution struggled at first, but by 1897, the college had established an endowment of more than 100,000 dollars and boasted sixteen faculty members.
In 1989, Findlay College became known as the University of Findlay. The campus, still affiliated with the Church of God, then embarked on a building campaign, adding five new buildings over the next several years. By the start of the twenty-first century, this institution boasted sixty-five different areas of undergraduate study and eight graduate programs. The university is especially well known for its equestrian studies program and offers equestrian riding as a varsity sport. In 2005, more than 3,300 undergraduates and 1,200 graduate students enrolled at the University of Findlay. The university also boasted a sizable international student body, representing thirty countries.