File:OhioGuide SA1039AV B10F01 001 001.jpg

From Ohio History Central
OhioGuide_SA1039AV_B10F01_001_001.jpg(309 × 256 pixels, file size: 11 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)

Image is located on Ohio Memory at: http://cdm16007.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/7237

Description

Caption on reverse reads: "Code - C 1; Class. - Rivers, etc.; Ident. - Ohio River; Location - At Manchester; This photo must be returned to Ohio Writers' Project 78 E. Chestnut St., Columbus, Ohio." Manchester is located approximately 74 miles upstream of Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally called Massie's Station, it was the first permanent white settlement within the Virginia Military District, built along the Ohio River in 1790 and was built near the "Three Islands". Native Americans used these islands to attack settlers traveling down the Ohio River. Nathanial Massie offered nineteen men property if they would settle in the town. He used the settlement as a base for his survey work in the district. In 1791, Massie's Station became known as Manchester, Ohio. Massie named the community after Manchester, England. It was the fourth permanent settlement established in the Northwest Territory. By 1791, residents had completely encircled the community with a stockade to provide protection from Native Americans. Manchester served as the county seat for Adams County from 1797 to 1803, when residents moved local government to West Union. Located on the Ohio River across from the slaveholding state of Kentucky, Manchester proved an important community along the Underground Railroad. The larger of the two remaining islands is called Manchester, and the smaller is called Tow Head. They are now part of the Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuges under the supervision of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. The Ohio River is the largest tributary of the Mississippi River and is about 981 miles long. It begins at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers in Point State Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It forms the border between Ohio and West Virginia, as well as Ohio and Kentucky, Indiana and Kentucky and Illinois and Kentucky. It joins the Mississippi near Cairo, Illinois.

Source

The Ohio History Connection, Ohio Guide Photographs Collection, State Archives Series 1039 AV

File Permissions for use of this photograph: Online access is provided for research and education purposes. For rights and reproduction requests or more information, go to http://www.ohiohistory.org/images/information.

Date
Author

Ohio Federal Writer's Project, ca. 1930s-1940s

Permission
(Reusing this file)

See below.


File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current12:04, 7 April 2015Thumbnail for version as of 12:04, 7 April 2015309 × 256 (11 KB)Sback (Talk | contribs)Caption on reverse reads: "Code - C 1; Class. - Rivers, etc.; Ident. - Ohio River; Location - At Manchester; This photo must be returned to Ohio Writers' Project 78 E. Chestnut St., Columbus, Ohio." Manchester is located approximately 74 miles upstream...
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

The following page links to this file: