File:Chillicothe Statehouse.jpg

From Ohio History Central

Jump to: navigation, search
Chillicothe_Statehouse.jpg(400 × 277 pixels, file size: 39 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Description

This illustration is of the Ross County courthouse, which became Ohio's first statehouse in 1803. The building was torn down in 1852. Chillicothe was named the capital of the Northwest Territory in 1800 and became the first capital of the State of Ohio in 1803. The presence of influential men such as Thomas Worthington, the "father of Ohio statehood" and Edward Tiffin, Ohio's first governor, near Chillicothe made the city a convenient place to locate the capital. The capital was moved to Zanesville in 1810, but returned to Chillicothe in 1812. In 1816 Columbus became the permanent state capital.

Source

Ohio Historical Society AV 8. Ohio State House Collection

Date

3/17/2008 11:58

Author
Permission
(Reusing this file)

See below.


File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current20:06, 24 April 2013Thumbnail for version as of 20:06, 24 April 2013400 × 277 (39 KB)Maintenance script (Talk)Importing image file

The following page links to this file: