File:Chardon Business District.jpg

From Ohio History Central

Jump to: navigation, search
Chardon_Business_District.jpg(360 × 240 pixels, file size: 53 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Description

Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland Mayor 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street.

Source

Ohio Historical Society AL06624

Date

2/6/2007 14:07

Author
Permission
(Reusing this file)

See below.


File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current20:06, 24 April 2013Thumbnail for version as of 20:06, 24 April 2013360 × 240 (53 KB)Maintenance script (Talk)Importing image file

There are no pages that link to this file.

Metadata