From Ohio History Central
This illustration of the city of Akron appears in "Historical Collections of Ohio," published by Henry Howe in 1907. Akron was originally laid out in 1825 and in 1841 became the seat of Summit County. The name came from a Greek word meaning "an elevation" or "point." Originally, the community was located slightly south of its present location, in modern-day South Akron. Many of the town's earliest residents were Irish migrants employed to build the nearby Ohio and Erie Canal. After 1827, when the canal was completed between Akron and Cleveland, the community's business interests really began to prosper. Its location along the canal meant that many farmers brought their crops to Akron to be milled and then transported to other markets, and manufacturing interests such as mills, furnaces, and textiles also emerged.
Ohio Historical Society. Library; 977.1 H838h2. Collection: Printed Material
Henry Howe's Historical Collections of Ohio
(Reusing this file)
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||19:06, 24 April 2013||330 × 249 (29 KB)||Maintenance script||Importing image file|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
- Edit this file using an external application (See the setup instructions for more information)