Dexter City, Ohio
Dexter City is a small community in Noble County, Ohio.
In 1870, Dexter City was platted, although the village was not formally incorporated until 1881. Residents named the community after Dexter W. Sullivan, who constructed the first building in the town. In comparison to other Noble County communities, Dexter City grew relatively quickly, attaining a population of nearly 350 residents in 1880. Most residents earned their livings in local coal and iron mines, as farmers, as oil workers, or excavating salt. As iron and coal deposits began to decline, many residents began to leave Dexter City, finding employment in Ohio's larger cities. In 2007, the town claimed only 161 residents.
- Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.