From Ohio History Central
In 1977, the Columbus Clippers began playing baseball in Columbus, Ohio. They are a Triple-A farm team, playing in the International League. Originally the team was affiliated with the Pittsburgh Pirates, but in 1979, they became a farm team for the New York Yankees. In 2007, the team changed affiliations to the Washington Nationals.
Since the team's founding, the Clippers have played its games at Cooper Stadium. The stadium underwent dramatic renovations before the Clippers' first game in 1977, and the ballpark had undergone several name changes since its construction in 1931. Cooper Stadium, named in 1984, was previously known as Red Bird Stadium, Jets Stadium, and Franklin County Stadium. The Clippers have prospered in the International League, winning the league championship in 1979, 1980, 1981, 1987, 1991, 1992, and 1996. The team has played in the championship series a total of fourteen times.