From Ohio History Central
Cincinnati, Ohio, resident William Gibson left twenty-five thousand dollars in his will to the Presbyterian Church to endow a college at Cedarville, Ohio. In 1894, the Presbyterian Church established Cedarville College. During the institution's first academic year, thirty-five students enrolled. Within one decade, enrollment exceeded one hundred students. The college required students to remain true to their religious faith, placing a heavy emphasis on biblical study and teachings.
In 1953, the Baptist Church assumed control of Cedarville College. The institution continued to emphasize religion, requiring students to attend bible classes during their time at Cedarville College. The college, now known as Cedarville University, continues to require bible study today. The institution also requires students and faculty members to sign a pledge every year to uphold their own and the college's religious morals. Despite this heavy emphasis on religion, Cedarville University's academic programs are well respected across the United States. In 2006, the student body consisted of more than 3,100 students, and 220 professors served on the faculty.