Bowling Green State Normal College

From Ohio History Central
Bowling Green Normal College Class.jpg
This photograph shows the "Principles of Milking and Dairying" class, which was held in the basement of Moseley Hall at Bowling Green Normal College (now Bowling Green State University), circa 1914-1919. The class was part of the curriculum available in normal schools in the early part of the twentieth century. Although normal schools were dedicated to training future teachers, many included classes in agriculture and housework.

The Ohio legislature approved the charter for Bowling Green State Normal School in 1910, and the institution first opened its doors in 1914. During the Progressive era, reformers were placing more emphasis on education. Many teachers did not have advanced training, and Progressives opened normal schools to provide training and professional development for teachers. Bowling Green was one of several institutions supported by the state of Ohio during this era.

When the school first opened, it enrolled 304 students. Most of these students were from Ohio, although there were a few who attended from Michigan and New York. The normal school grew rapidly from the beginning and was able to become a college in 1929. In 1935, the state granted Bowling Green university status, and it has been known as Bowling Green State University ever since.

Today, Bowling Green State University has more than twenty thousand students, who are pursuing more than two hundred different undergraduate majors and graduate programs.

See Also