From Ohio History Central
Originally published in Cleveland, Ohio, America was a Romanian-American newspaper.
People of Romanian heritage primarily began to migrate to the United States of America in the late 1800s. Cleveland had one of the largest Romanian communities in Ohio. In 1928, the Union & League of Romanian Societies, the largest Romanian mutual-benefit society in the United States of America and Canada, formed and established its national headquarters in Cleveland. This organization soon began publication of America, intending to provide Romanians across North America with news in their native language. The Union & League of Romanian Societies continued to publish America in Cleveland until 1967, when the publication location changed to Carrolton, Ohio. In 1969, the organization began to publish the paper at a facility in Detroit, Michigan. The paper remains in publication at the start of the twentieth century. Like many other Americans during the late 1800s and the early 1900s, the Romanian immigrants viewed Ohio as a land of opportunity, but they also sought, as evidenced with America, to maintain many aspects of their traditional culture.
- Van Tassel, David D., and John J. Grabowski, eds. The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1996.